For the filling
1,5 kilo (3.30 pounds) fresh spinach
1 bunch parsley and one bunch dill and one bunch fresh mint
7-8 spring onions
1 large leek
1 kilo (2 pounds) feta cheese, mashed with fork or grated if hard
1/4 cup trahana or bulgur or couscous
1 tsp freshly ground fresh pepper
1/2 tsp salt (careful if feta cheese is salty)
For the phyllo pastry
1 packet (1/2 kilo - 1 pound) store bought phyllo pastry
extra virgin olive oil for the phyllo
Preheat oven at 180° C.
1. Place spinach and aromatic herbs in a large bowl. Season with salt and let it rest for an hour. Squeeze with hands to remove excess liquids. Drain. In a skillet, warm some olive oil and saute the spring onions and the leek, until their color turns transparent. (if you like a more onion taste, you could add one or two extra red onion pureed )
2. Add spinach and herbs, feta cheese, beaten eggs, spices and trahana. Mix well. Brush with oil a large baking dish.
3. Divide phyllo sheets in two parts. Line one sheet flat in the bottom of the baking dish and fold it up on the sides. Repeat until half sheets are used, brushing well with olive oil each one as it is added.
4. Add the filling. Trim the edges of the pastry sticking out with a sharp knife.
5. Cover with the rest of the phyllo sheets, brushing each one with oil and rolling it inwards to stick with the sheets from under the filling, in order to secure the filling. . Cut the pastry in parallel lines creating size according to how many pieces you want to end up with.
6. Bake for around 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.