Green beans braised with tomato - Fassolakia ladera
Servings: 4 - 6
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Active time: 45 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes
2 pounds runner beans or any kind of fresh (or frozen) green beans
1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil
2 cups onions, chopped
3 cups fresh tomatoes, grated
1 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
1/2-1 teaspoon fresh chili pepper chopped (optional)
3-4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1 ½ -inch cubes
- Wash and dry the beans. Cut a small piece off both ends and string the beans using a very sharp knife. (If you have it you can also use the special tool that strings and slices the beans at the same time).
- Warm the oil in a sauté pan and sauté the onions, sprinkling with salt, until tender (about 6 minutes).
- Add the beans, the parsley and the chili and toss for 2 minutes to oil them. Arrange the potatoes on top of the beans in one layer, sprinkle with salt and pour the grated tomato over them.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes or more, until potatoes and beans are cooked and most of the juices are absorbed.
- Do not stir but occasionally shake the pot. Check regularly and add water if needed.
- Let the beans cool for at least 15-30 minutes before serving, they are best eaten at room temperature.
Serve with crusty fresh whole-wheat bread and feta cheese or any other white cheese of your choice