2 cups uncooked brown or white rice
1 lb lentils
2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
1 tbsp crushed garlic
two 16-ounce cans of tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup vinegar
1 medium onion
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the rice in double the amount of water. Bring to a boil on high heat, and then lower heat to a simmer. Cover with a lid.
2. Rinse lentils and put them in a pot, covering them with water, and bring to a boil. Then simmer on low heat until almost all water is absorbed and lentils are well cooked. Add extra water if longer time is needed.
3. To make the sauce, first sauté the garlic in 1 tablespoon oil until golden.
4. Add both cans of tomato sauce and simmer 10-15 minutes. Add water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Remove from heat immediately and add salt to taste.
5. Sauté onion in remaining 1 tablespoon of oil until brown and crispy.
6. Dish Arrangment: layer of lentils (on the bottom), followed by a layer of rice, then another layer of lentils and another layer of rice. Sprinkle the onions and the sauce on top before serving.