1 cup (250 ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion, grated
1 cup black eyed beans, soaked for 20-30 minutes
2 cups rice (do not use parboiled rice)
7 cups water
juice of half lemon
salt & pepper
lemon wedges for garnish
1. Boil beans in plenty of water for 20 minutes. Strain.
2. Heat the oil in saucepan and sauté onions for 3-4 minutes, until translucent.
3. Add beans, mix thoroughly and simmer for a further 6-8 minutes.
4. Add 7 cups of water and rice and boil. Season with salt.
5. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and pepper.
6. Cover saucepan with cotton towel and leave up to 10 minutes, until mixture becomes moist. Season with extra pepper. Garnish with lemon wedges. Serve warm.