350g kusku (pasta beads)
5 tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves
400g tomato pulp
2 tbsp concentrated tomato paste
5 bay leaves
few cauliflower leaves finely chopped
1 1/3 l boiling water
6 Gozitan cheeselets
salt and freshly ground pepper
finely grated cheese to serve
1. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion until it turns gold in colour.
2. Add the garlic cloves, stir and cook for few minutes. Add the broad beans, stir and cook for a while longer. Keep on stirring every now and again.
3. Add the tomato pulp, the concentrated tomato paste, bay leaves, the cauliflower leaves, salt and pepper. Stir and allow to boil softly over a moderate heat for 5 minutes.
4. Add the water, stir and bring to the boil. Boil for 15 minutes.
5. Add the pasta beads. Cook for 14 minutes. Stir constantly as the pasta beads tend to stick.
6. Lower the heat, add the cheeselets, cover and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Stir once only to avoid breaking the cheeselets
7. Sprinkle with grated cheese