1 large (2 small) ripe melon(s)
1 pint veal stock
2 tbsp butter
2 egg yolks
2 tbsp light cream
seasoning to taste
1/4 cup (about 2 oz) chopped serrano, or other cured ham
2 tsp chopped chervil (or parsley)
2 tbsp fino (dry) sherry (vinagre de jerez)
1. Heat the butter in a pan and sauté the melon pieces for around 4-5 minutes.
2. Add the veal stock and seasoning to taste, cover and allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat and pass through a fine sieve or process until smooth.
3. Pour the melon soup back into the saucepan and, over a moderate heat, stir in the cream (do not allow to boil), together with the well-beaten egg yolks and stir constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Chill for a couple of hours.
4. Stir in the sherry just before serving.
5. When served, add about 4 melon balls to each individual soup dish and garnish with the chopped chervil and cured ham.