1 lbs lean beef
1 lbs lean veal (or all beef)
3 tbsp fat ( butter, olive oil, or lard)
1 large onion
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 cup strained tomatoes
8 small peeled potatoes
1. Heat the cooking fat well in a large casserole. Season the meat with salt and pepper, and brown carefully on all sides, making sure that you add few pieces at a time so as not to make the temperature drop.
2. Add the onions and sauté stirring occasionally to cook evenly.
3. Add seasonings and strained tomatoes. (If necessary add one cup of water.)
4. Cover and simmer on medium to low heat for about 1 1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
5. Add potatoes one hour into the cooking.
6. Serve hot in a large soup bowl!