1 small onion
1 garlic clove
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 kg of tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 dozen hazelnuts, skinned
1 bay leaf
3 sprigs of parsley
1/2 cup of chicken stock
*(Makes about 750 ml sauce)
1. Sauté the garlic and onion until transparent and beginning to brown.
2. Add the tomatoes and fry on high heat for a few minutes.
3. Add the salt, bay leaf, parsley and liquid. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced.
4. Put the sauce in a blender with the hazelnuts and purée until smooth. The finner the sieve you pass the puréed sauce through the smoother it will be.
5. Keep in a jar in the fridge for about 5 days, but REMEMBER TO BRING TO A BOIL BEFORE EVERY USE.
* Make this as you would any type of jam, store in sterilized jars and have tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes all throughout winter!