6 tsp butter
7-8 tsp of flour
4 cups of milk
salt & white pepper
3 tsp of grated cheese (optionally)
1-2 egg yolks (optionally)
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
2. Add the flour all at once, and stir constantly with a small whisk until the mixture becomes a homogenous mix, also known as roux.
3. Pour in the milk with a constant flow, stirring continuously. Make sure that you stir around the edges, as the parts closest to the pan wall are the most prone to get stuck, use a teaspoon to help you.
4. The sauce will begin to thicken slowly. When you see the first bubbles take off the heat. Your sauce should have a thick and smooth texture.
5. If you are enriching with cheese add when hot, if with yolks add when the sauce has cooled. Keep stirring until cool.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. If not using immediately cover with cling film lining the top layer of the sauce carefully so as not to get an ugly crust, and store in the fridge.