1 large aubergine
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 (13 oz) can chopped plum tomatoes
2 tsp basil
3.6 litres (6 pints)water
375g (12 oz) fresh tagliatelle
salt and freshly ground black pepper
freshly grated parmesan cheese, to serve (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic and aubergines and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the tomatoes and their juice, together with the basil, and season to taste. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring the water to a boil in a large pan and add salt to taste. Put in the pasta, stir, and cook until just al dente.
4. Drain the pasta, turn it into a warm serving dish and top with the aubergine mixture.
5. Serve sprinkled with grated Parmesan.