1 kg lean beef or veal, cubed
1/2 kg onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
2 tbs tomato paste
1 cup (240 ml) white wine
1 head garlic, finely chopped
3 bay leaves
1 tbs vinegar
1 stick cinnamon
1 tbs hot red pepper (optional)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 kg package thick macaroni or bucatoni
3 tbs butter
1 cup kefalotyri, Romano, or Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Sauté the meat and onion in the olive oil until lightly browned.
2. Mix the tomato paste with the wine and pour over the meat.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients except the macaroni, butter, and cheese.
4. Simmer for about 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender, adding a little hot water if necessary.
5. As the meat nears readiness, boil the macaroni in plenty of salted water until al dente and then drain.
6. Place the macaroni on a large platter and sprinkle liberally with grated cheese.
7. Heat the butter until sizzling and pour over the cheese. Serve the meat with its sauce in a separate bowl.