4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium to large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper
2 oz prosciutto
1/3 cup toasted almonds
8 oz sea scallops
8 oz squid
12 oz shelled shrimp
two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
two 8-ounce bottles clam juice or homemade seafood stock
1/2 tsp. saffron threads
3 bay leaves
8 sprigs parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Put the oil in a 12-inch large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and raise the heat to high.
2. Once the onion begin to get some colour add the peppers and stir.
3. Let the peppers begin to cook and add the prosciutto and almonds.
4. Open the can of tomatoes and bottles of clam juice. Add them, and the saffron and bay leaves to the saute pan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
5. Add the mussels. Stir, cover and cook for 2 minutes.
6. Add the shrimp to the pan, stir, cover, and cook for 2 minutes.
7. Add the scallops and squid, stir, cover, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until all the seafood is cooked, make sure you do not over cook the suid and scallops, they become chewy!
*The mussels should have opened and the shrimp, scallops, and squid should be just firm. Discard any mussels that do not open.
8. While the seafood cooks, chop the parsley leaves. Taste the zarzuela for salt and pepper. Discard the bay leaves. Ladle the stew into large soup plates and sprinkle with parsley.