7-8 lbs lamb (shoulder and rib portion is best)
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
4 oz melted butter
salt to taste
Preheat oven to 170°C
1. Rinse the meat.
2. Mix together the paprika, cumin, butter and salt and spread over the lamb.
3. Loosen some of the skin just under the shoulder and put a little of the mixture inside.
4. Cook in a moderately hot oven with the fleshy part of the meat facing down. Add a glass of water and baste with the resulting juices from time to time so that the meat does not become dry.
5. After two and a half hours, turn the meat over, and cook the other side until golden brown.
6. Continue cooking for another thirty minutes, then remove once you have checked that the meat is tender enough to be torn off with your fingers.
7. Arrange on a dish without the gravy. Eat while piping hot, seasoned with cumin and salt.
*Play around with the spices you use to make your personal variation of the traditional Mechoui!