2 cups dried lima beans
3 lbs. brisket
2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ginger
2 tbsp flour
8 small potatoes
1 cup pearled barley
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, oil or margarine
Preheat oven to 125°C or 250°F
1. Salt the meat. Use a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven and brown the meat well on all sides, adding small quantities at a time so as not to substantially lower the temperature of the oil.
2. Add some more fat if needed, and add the onions. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and ginger and re- introduce the meat.
3. Add beans, barley, small potatoes (peeled) and sprinkle with flour and paprika.
4. Add enough boiling water to cover one inch above the mixture. Cover tightly.
5. Cholent may be baked for 12 - 24 hours. 1 hour before the dish is ready place the uncooked eggs with shell on top.
* For quicker cooking, bake at 350°F (180°C) for 4-5 hours or use a pressure cooker
* Make sure that your cholent has enough water covering it at all times