5 lbs. beef
10 oz smoked bacon
20 oz onion
8 oz parsley root
5 oz carrots
4 cloves garlic
10 oz. peeled tomato
10 oz. fresh celery
3 quarts dry red wine
2 tsp mustard
10 oz. olive oil
bay leaf, rosemary, thyme
salt and pepper to taste
1. Pierce beef with sharp knife and place garlic into and around meat.
2. Place beef into large pan, cover with wine. Add chopped onion, thyme, bay leaf, rosemary, pepper, and cubed celery to meat. Cover pan and refrigerate for 12 hours.
3. Heat oil and place beef (only) into pan with oil. Brown meat briskly and remove from pan.
4. Add contents from marinade into oil and fry briskly.
5. Add browned meat, peeled tomatoes, prunes, and remaining items into pan.
6. Mix and cook for 2-3 hours from a higher to lower temperature during cooking time.
7. Remove meat and slice.
8. Strain juice from pan and use as sauce.