500g smoked pork (or prosciutto bone for better flavour)
250g dry beans
1 clove of garlic
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 bay leaf
pepper and salt
1. Boil cabbage together with meat on the bone.
2. Boil the beans separately.
3. Boil the potatoes separately as well.
4. Add boiled beans (along with the water in which they were boiled) to cabbage.
5. Cut the potatoes in cubes and mash a few to make jota thicker, and add them to the cabbage.
6. Remove the meat from the soup and clean the meat off the bone. Return to the soup.
7. Brown the onion in oil, and add to jota.
8. Spice with bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
9. Add tomato paste to give it a nice colour.
10. Let boil for about 15 minutes. If the tastes have mixed and the thickenss is as thick and smooth,take off the heat.
11. Serve in bowls with a dollop oif sour cream.
*Some chefs thicken jota with roux.