1 kg of lamb shoulder in portions
½ cup of butter
1 tbs of flour
8 cloves of garlic
6 small, ripe tomatoes
1 tbs of tomato paste
bouquet garni made up of bay leaves, thyme and parsley
salt and pepper
12 small, white spring onions
8 small carrots
1-2 parsnips and/or turnips
10-15 new potatoes
peas and fresh broad beans
2 tbs of butter, extra
1. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and brown in hot butter, in a shallow medium sized saucepan.
2. Add the garlic cloves, and the flour. Combine well.
3. Next, add the tomatoes, and the tomato paste. Combine well again, add boiling water just to cover.
4. Add the bouquet garni and simmer, covered, for about 1 hour.
5. In another pan, lightly saute the spring onions, carrots and parsnips in butter.
6. Transfer the lamb portions to the pan with the vegetables.
7. Skim any fat off the surface of the sauce in the first pan.
8. Add the potatoes and continue to simmer for a further 30 minutes.
9. Approximately 15 minutes after the potatoes have been added, add the green beans and, 5 minutes before the end, add the peas and broad beans .
10. Arrange in a deep platter and serve.