2 lamb shoulders, approximately 1 kg
4-5 cloves of garlic with skin
200 ml of meat stock
2 tbs of balsamic vinegar
virgin olive oil
8 small eggplants
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs of thyme
1 clove of garlic with skin
Preheat oven at 220° C.
1. Trim the fat off the lamb. Sprinkle with rock salt and freshly ground black pepper; brown all over in a non-stick pan, without adding any cooking fat or oil.
2. Place the lamb in an ovenproof dish on top of a layer of garlic and rosemary; cook for about 1 hour.
3. Wrap in aluminium foil and leave in a warm place for 5 minutes in order that the juices concentrated in the centre of the meat may spread out.
4. Heat the meat stock and the balsamic vinegar and whisk it together, while still hot, with virgin olive oil.
5. Cut the eggplants into fours and blanch in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes. Drain them and dry on absorbent paper.
6. Put them in a frying pan with the garlic, bay leaf, thyme and a little olive oil. Allow to cook well.
7. Cut the meat into portions.
8. Spread the sauce on each dinner plate and serve the meat and eggplant on top.