For the yoghurt sauce
12 ounces plain yoghurt
2 small garlic cloves
1/4 tsp salt
3 tbs shredded fresh mint leaves - or to taste
2 lb ground lamb
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped pitted Kalamata olives - 12 to 15
6 small pita loaves
2 small vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
2 small green bell peppers, cut in rings
1 red onion,sliced thin
some sumac to decorate the yoghurt
Prepare grill and oil rack. Set grill 5-6 inches from charcoals.
1. In a bowl gently combine the lamb, feta and olives.
2. Form into 6 oval patties about 1" thick. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Grill for about 7 minutes per side for medium-rare.
4. Split pitas to form a pocket.
5. Transfer burgers to pita pockets and top with tomatoes, bell peppers and onion. Serve burgers with yogurt sauce and sumac on the top.