1 1/2 pounds salt cod filet
1 pound chickpeas
1 cup olive oil
4-5 large tomatoes
salt, to taste
fresh squeezed juice of 2 lemons
1. Place the chickpeas in a large pot with enough water to cover by two inches, and bring to a boil.
2. Simmer over low heat, skimming to foam off the top, for about 50 minutes to one hour.
3. in the meantime, heat one-third cup of olive oil in a medium-size skillet and sauté the onion until wilted.
4. Add the onion and tomatoes to the chickpeas.
5. Season with salt, and simmer for another hour to hour-and-a-half, or until very tender.
6. About 20 minutes before removing chickpeas from heat, add the cod and stir gently.
7. About five minutes before removing, season with salt and add the remaining olive oil and lemon juice.