Ingredients for the dough
400 gr all-purpose wheat flour
2 tbsp sour cream
200 gr butter
2/3 cup warm milk
pinch of salt
Ingredients for the filling
200 gr wheat bread sliced in thin strips
50 gr butter
2 apples thinly sliced
1/2 lt red wine (heavy, aromatic: Kraski Teran, Rdeci Capris, Metliska Crnina)
Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
1. Sift the flour in a bowl and mix quickly with sour cream, eggs, softened butter, milk and salt, kneading into a smooth, pliant dough; set aside and allow the dough to rest for half an hour in the refrigerator.
2. Brown the bread strips in the butter and arrange fried bread stripes in a single layer on a flat platter.
3. Bring the wine to a boil with cinnamon, cloves, lemon zest and sugar; boil for 30 seconds, then pour about 3/4 of the mixture over fried bread stripes.
4. Butter a flat baking dish. Roll out the dough to a little over twice the area of the baking dish and lay into the baking dish so that the dough hangs over the sides.
5. Arrange apple slices on the dough, in one smooth layer; cover with soaked bread stripes.
6.The filling with remaining cooked wine and dust with half of the castor sugar. Pull the dough over the filling (it should be completely covered).
7.Brush the dough with egg and bake until browned or about 45 minutes.
8. Dust the hot cake with remaining castor sugar, allow to cool somewhat, slice and serve (with whipped cream).