500 gr pumpkin
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 leaves of sage
olive or other oil for frying
1. Peel the pumpkin and discard the rind.
2. Remove the seeds and either discard or wash and dry and save to make roasted pumpkin seeds.
3. Using a large sharp knife, curt the pumpkin into very thin pieces, either rectangular or triangular in shape.
4. Place the pumpkin slices in layers in a colander, salting between each layer, and leave them to drain for one hour. Remove and pat dry.
5. Season the flour with salt and pepper.
6. Dredge the pumpkin slices with the flour, shaking off any excess.
7. Heat about one inch (3 cm) of oil in a large heavy skillet.
8. Fry the pumpkin slices with the sage leaves a few at a time, turning once in the skillet, until golden on both sides.
9. Remove, drain for a minute or so on paper towels and serve, if desired, with skordalia.