Tunisian Farka (Breakfast with Couscous)
This is perfect for those of you who love eating porridge in the morning; instead of oats use couscous! Absolutely delicious...
1 1/3 cups couscous (about 400g)
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts (such as walnuts, blanched almonds, hazelnuts, pistachios and pine nuts)
225g pitted dates
2 cups milk, hot
Preheat oven to 170°C
- Chop the nuts and dried fruits into small pieces
1. Place the couscous in a large bowl.
2. Bring 1 1/3 cups water, 1/2 cup sugar and butter to boil in heavy large saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
3. Pour mixture over couscous and stir until well blended. Cover and let stand 10 minutes. Fluff with fork to separate grains.
4. Roast the nuts in the oven or a thin frying pan until golden brown.
5. Mix nuts and dates into couscous.
6. Transfer couscous to baking dish and allow it to cool.
*If you want to reheat it cover with foil and bake couscous until heated through (about 20 minutes).
7. Spoon into bowls and serve, passing hot milk and extra sugar separately.