Cauliflower with Dorsa Sauce
The cuisines of some countries, like France, Italy, Greece, Morocco, have dominated the Mediterranean cooking scene, allowing little space for exploration of other cuisines that are equally as interesting and rich. This Algerian side-dish will most definitely please you; play around with different spices if you can not find harissa!
8 oz chopped Italian tomatoes
2 large cloves garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp each of paprika, salt and black pepper
1 tsp harissa
1 medium sized cauliflower
- Trim the cauliflower leaves and cut into florets.
- Dice or grate the tomato
1. Boil the cauliflower in salted water until it is cooked but still crisp. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook the garlic in oil in a separate pan for a minute or so until it starts to turn golden. Add the tomatoes, salt, pepper, paprika and harissa and mix together. Turn the heat down and simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the cauliflower and reserve one cup of the water it was cooked in.
4. Add it to the sauce, turning it over until it is well covered by the sauce. Allow it to heat through for 5 minutes or so.
*If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little of the water in which the cauliflower was cooked.
5. Serve with boiled rice, sprinkled with a little parsley.