Tunisian Carrot Salad
This Tunisian carrot salad is a great side dish for a variety of preparations, it can accompany meat or fish as well as successfully compliment a meze table with other Mediterranean delicacies!
1 1/2 pounds carrots
3 tbsp olive oil
2 1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Peel and cut carrots into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- Chop the cilantro
1. Cook carrots in medium saucepan of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
2. Stir oil, cumin and cayenne in heavy large skillet over medium heat until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
3. Add carrots, then 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Cool. Mix in cilantro.
*Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before serving.