Fattoush salad with pita bread and herbs
This salad is a great way to use stale left over bread, and can work as a source of inspiration for salads with other seasonal ingredients; use the same technique and concept and adapt it to your taste and region!
1 large romaine lettuce
3 firm ripe mid-size tomatoes
1/2 bunch parsley
1 carrot or cucumber optional
4 spring green onions
6 sprigs mint
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice (more or less to taste) or 1/4 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 tsp salt (more or less to taste)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sumac
4 pieces of pitta bread
- Wash lettuce and thinly cut across in 2-3 cm strips
- Coarsley dice the tomatoes and carrots/cucmber
- Wash and coarsley chop mint and parsley
- Cut the sping onion
- Squeeze the lemon
Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F).
1. Cut the bread into small 2½ cm (1 inch) pieces and place on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 5-10 minutes until crisp and light brown. Set aside.
2. Put lettuce into a mixing bowl with the herbs and the other vegetables.
3. In a separate small bowl make the dressing; mix all the liquids and spices.
3. Cover and chill both for at least 1 hour before serving.
4. The dressing and bread are added and mixed in just before serving to prevent wilting of the lettuce and softening of the bread.