On Christmas Eve Italians celebrate the Feast of Seven Fishes. Octopus is one of the most popular dishes served on this day and this delectable recipe is one of the best.
1 kg octopus
½ kg onions
3 pieces apples
100 g ginger root
100 g dried apricots
100 g sultanas (raisins)
100 g raisins
3 tbs olive oil
3 tbs butter
lt Madeira or other sweet wine
black pepper or cinnamon
- Pre-cook, slice and skin octopus
- Slice onions
- Peel and slice ginger, apples, apricots
1. Saute th onions in the oil and butter until transparent.
2. Add the ginger, apples, apricots, the sultanas and raisins.
3, Stir for a few minutes then add the octopus, pre-cooked, sliced and skinned, a pinch of pepper and cinnamon and stir for a few more minutes.
4. Sprinkle with the wine, cover and simmer for 1 hour.