Lamb with Asparagus
Lamb is probably Greece's favorite meat. Buy it fresh and avoid freezing it as it looses it's juices. Prefer green asparagus and keep only the heads.
2 lbs/1 kg neck of lamb
1 scant cup/200 ml Greek extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion
2 lbs/1 kg asparagus
Juice of 1 lemon
24 tbsρ flour, mixed with a little water
1 bunch flat leaved parsley
Freshly ground black pepper
- Wash the meat and pat it dry, then divide it into portions.
- Chop the onion in brunoise
1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, sauté the onions until transparent, and brown the meat οn all sides.
2. Pour in enough water tο cover the meat. Reduce the heat and leave the meat tο simmer.
3. Meanwhile, wash and trim the asparagus.
4. Bring some salted water tο a boil, add the asparagus and simmer for about 15 minutes.
5. Pour off the water and leave tο drain.
6. Once the meat is tender, remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the lemon juice and thicken the sauce with the flourandwater mixture.
7. Season tο taste with salt and pepper.
8. Arrange the asparagus οn a plate with the lamb and sauce over it.
9. Garnish with parsley and serve.