Tavas with Lamb Meat
Tavas is one of the most traditional and popular dishes in Cyprus; for those who don't like the strong taste of lamb use beef!
1 ½ kg lamb meat, cut into portions
200g ripe tomatoes
100ml olive oil
100g milk butter
2 bay leaves
1 bunch parsley
- Slice the potatoes, courgette, onions and tomatoes in rings of medium thickness.
- Divide the lamb meat into portions, wash and strain.
- Chop the parsley
Preheat the oven to 180°C
1. In a tavas (baking pan) with a lid line the potatoes, the courgettes, the onions and the tomatoes.
2. Add the meat and season. Add the cinnamon, the olive oil, the butter, the bay leaves and the proportionate water, cover and put it in the oven for about 2 hours.
3. Serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley and a garnish of your choice