There isn't much we need to say to convince you of the beauty of this wonderful but common-place Spanish dish. Paella is by definition one of the meals you can only eat in the company of loved ones; place in the middle of the table with a large serving spoon sticking out of it, and serve with a home-made alioli, and chilled Spanish white wine!
1/3 cup of olive oil
1 small onion
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
3-5 Tbs minced fresh parsley
1 generous pinch of saffron
2 tbsp of chicken bullion
1/2 lb - 1 lb shrimp, leave shell on
1 lb scallops
3 skinless chicken breasts
2 green peppers
1 red pepper
8 oz tomato sauce
1 tsp sugar
4 cups of rice
7 cups of water
- Mince the onion or cut in brunoise
- Finely chop the parsley
- Wash, deseed and slice the peppers into the shape and size you choose.
- Cut the chicken breast in large chunks
- Crush the garlic
- Prepare your saffron for use by, either putting the saffron in a small glass of boiling water or heating it in the oven wrapped in foil.
* Use a Paella pan or a large sauté.
1. Sauté onion, parsley, and garlic in olive oil until the onion begins to turn transparent.
2. Add saffron , chicken bullion, chicken, peppers and sauté until chicken cooks through.
3. Add tomato sauce and sugar. Let boil for about 5-10 minutes, to reduce the tomatoes' acidity. Stir.
4. Add rice, move aroudn with a wooden spatula to heat the grain well.
5. Add the water and bring to a boil. Salt to taste. Boil strongly for 5 minutes and lower the temperature to medium/low. From here on you do not stirr at all.
6. Once you have lowered the temperature add the shrimp & scallops and cover.
7. If the rice appears to be getting too dry during the last 10 minutes, add a little more water. If the rice is too wet at the end of the 10 minutes, uncover, turn the temperature up and evaporate unwanted liquid.
8. Just when the rice is nearly done, cooked but still a little hard, take off heat and cover with a cloth!
*IMPORTANT : never stirr paella rice!!!