Veal with Vegetables (Etliz yaz turlusu)
This Cypriot stew does not need a lot of water, because over low heat the vegetables let out their own fluids and the sauce becomes delicious.
1 kg meat (veal ) cut into servings
250 g fresh beans
250 g eggplants
250 g okras
250 g squash
2 large onions, coarsely chopped
2 large tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 green peppers
1 large potato
1/2 cup oil
- Coarsely chop onions
- Peel and coarsely chop tomatoes
- Trim the beans and wash them.
- Dice the eggplants, wash them, add salt and let them sit for 30 minutes to sweeten, wash them again and squeeze them.
- Clean the okras, wash them, place them in a colander and sprinkle them with vinegar (so that they do not excrete mucilage).
- Peel the squash and cut in pieces.
- Wash the peppers and cut them in pieces.
- Peel the potato and dice it.
1. Sauté the meat and the onions in oil with a pinch of salt.
2. As soon as they are sautéed, add the vegetables mixed with salt and pepper, the tomatoes and 1 small cup of water and let them boil for about 1 hour over low heat (without stirring because they will fall apart).