Orange and Cardamom Walnut Cake Drenched in Syrup
Oranges and cardamom bring an oriental touch to this syrupy cake. Serve with vanilla ice cream or Greek-style strained yoghurt and create a really decadent dessert.
215gr coarse semolina
180gr brown sugar
100gr walnuts, finely ground
200gr olive oil
3 tsp baking powder
zest and juice of two oranges
1 tsp ground cardamom
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Combine the ground walnuts with the semolina and baking powder.
2. Beat the olive oil with the sugar and gradually add the eggs.
3. Continue beating and add the orange zest and cardamom.
4. With a spatula or wooden spoon fold in the semolina mix until you get a homogenous batter.
5. Butter a rectangular baking tray and fill with the batter.
6. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden.
7. In the meantime prepare the syrup. Measure the orange juice and add as much water as to get 330ml of liquid. Boil together with the sugar and honey for 3-4 minutes.
8. While the cake is still hot, cut through it to mark the pieces and then drench in syrup. Let it cool and serve with ice-cream or yoghurt.